Questions about grooming and doggie psychology?


Hi, Here is the newest blog site to one of the best grooming facilities and grooming schools in the country.

I am the owner, DuAnn Chambers, and also the primary grooming instructor for the Pet Grooming Academy. I graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Washington in Seattle, Washington. I moved to northern Idaho (Priest River area) in 1994 and did not feel that I could support myself in this rural area with a psychology degree. So, I went back to school and received my grooming diploma in 1997 and have been grooming ever since.

I am childfree by choice and I live with my husband (whom I adore) and my 3 dogs, Mini Schnauzer, Annie-12, Monte-std pdle - 3, and Marli- Rott. cross-6.

My 4-legged dogs come to work with me and it’s a wonderful way to spend my days and make a living. I get to use both of my degrees every day in the grooming shop and I work with talented and fun dog-loving people. I now own 2 shops, and employ 6-8 groomers and bathers.

I start one student at a time, and have graduated dozens of students that have gone on to become hugely successful groomers and business owners. I love being a groomer! And I love being a teacher!

I have started this blog so that I can assist groomers with grooming questions, and dog-owners with dog psychology questions. In my 11 years of owning 2 shops and grooming thousands of dogs, I have come to notice a LOT of really cool things that co-exist for dog and owner.

Please help me to start my blog by sending me your questions regarding your dogs. Thanks a bunch for visiting my site, and I hope to be a service to you!


DuAnn Chambers




Monday, October 25, 2010

Thyroid issues are very common to see in the grooming room

Today we groomed a 10 year old Golden Retriever that was a bit overweight.  He hadn't been into our grooming shop for nearly 2 years, but his owner has been doing owner grooming at home.

We noticed that Riley had a lot of dandruff that was not explainable.  Even after the bath, parts of his skin felt greasy and had dandruff simultaneous.  We rewashed the greasy areas right down the spine and recombed this part.  During the combout, Riley continued to have lots of hair loss and dandruff. 

Because of his age, his weight, the hair loss, the dandruff and the grease, I suspected that Riley was suffering from a thyroid issue.  I did ask his owner if there was a change in his weight and if the hair loss was normal for him.  His owner confirmed that the recent hair loss was new, and so was the weight gain.

I advised the owner to have a blood test done on Riley.   

For those groomers that are interested in steering a customer to the vet for valid reasons:  Hair, skin and weight issues (that are new) that happen simultaneously are typically a thyroid problem.

DuAnn Lustig-Chambers
The Happy Pooch Tribune
Professional Tips to Pamper Your Pooch
http://www.thepoochparlor.net

No comments: