Questions about grooming and doggie psychology?


Hi, Here is the newest blog site to one of the best grooming facilities and grooming schools in the country.

I am the owner, DuAnn Chambers, and also the primary grooming instructor for the Pet Grooming Academy. I graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Washington in Seattle, Washington. I moved to northern Idaho (Priest River area) in 1994 and did not feel that I could support myself in this rural area with a psychology degree. So, I went back to school and received my grooming diploma in 1997 and have been grooming ever since.

I am childfree by choice and I live with my husband (whom I adore) and my 3 dogs, Mini Schnauzer, Annie-12, Monte-std pdle - 3, and Marli- Rott. cross-6.

My 4-legged dogs come to work with me and it’s a wonderful way to spend my days and make a living. I get to use both of my degrees every day in the grooming shop and I work with talented and fun dog-loving people. I now own 2 shops, and employ 6-8 groomers and bathers.

I start one student at a time, and have graduated dozens of students that have gone on to become hugely successful groomers and business owners. I love being a groomer! And I love being a teacher!

I have started this blog so that I can assist groomers with grooming questions, and dog-owners with dog psychology questions. In my 11 years of owning 2 shops and grooming thousands of dogs, I have come to notice a LOT of really cool things that co-exist for dog and owner.

Please help me to start my blog by sending me your questions regarding your dogs. Thanks a bunch for visiting my site, and I hope to be a service to you!


DuAnn Chambers




Friday, October 15, 2010

bladder or kidney infections in the grooming room

Today we groomed a beautiful, and well-mannered Great Pyrenees cross.  She is normally extremely patient for her grooming.  We noticed while shaving her sanitary area that her vulva was surrounded by a brown,  gooey area that was not easy to shave.  Shaving this area clearly irritated her.  This dog, Bandit, also had a vulva that was recessed inside a pocket of flesh and was not open to the air.

The combination of a recessed vulva and gummy brown substance around the vulva, |AND an annoyed dog made me wonder if she had an infection somewhere around there: either a bladder, or kidney infection.  I asked her owner about her pee habits, and her owner confirmed that indeed, Bandit was urinating more frequently than normal and not in the normal areas.

All of these signs together are highly indicative of a bladder or kidney infection.  Groomers take note as these symptoms are seen very often in the grooming room and the soon you can detect an issue, the better for the dog, for the owner, and for you.

The owner did take Bandit to the vet immediately and was prescribed antiobiotics.  He did not take a urine sample to confirm, but if she does have a bladder infection, the meds will quickly help her feel better.

Mention these small details to the owner either verbally or on in a report card for the dog.  You would be surprised how often, your details are more than just small, they are real medical issues.

DuAnn Lustig-Chambers

Pooch Parlor Tribune
Professional Tips to Pamper Your Pooch
http://www.thepoochparlor.net

2 comments:

Suzanne Muusers said...

What does a Great Pyrenees look like? Is that a big dog? My sister in law just rescued a Great Dane. Any resemblance?
Great post. Taking care of these medical issues right away is so important!

DuAnn Chambers said...

Suzanne, thanks for your comment. Great Pyrenees are large and white, typically bred to be shepherds in a flock of sheep. They do lots of barking at night, are very wellmannered and they only resemble the Great Dane in being big. Your sister in law will love having a Dane as they actually need very little space to be happy. Tell her to get the dog his or her own bed. Dane's really like having their own place to sleep that is designated. thanks again:)