Questions about grooming and doggie psychology?


Hi, Here is the newest blog site to one of the best grooming facilities and grooming schools in the country.

I am the owner, DuAnn Chambers, and also the primary grooming instructor for the Pet Grooming Academy. I graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Washington in Seattle, Washington. I moved to northern Idaho (Priest River area) in 1994 and did not feel that I could support myself in this rural area with a psychology degree. So, I went back to school and received my grooming diploma in 1997 and have been grooming ever since.

I am childfree by choice and I live with my husband (whom I adore) and my 3 dogs, Mini Schnauzer, Annie-12, Monte-std pdle - 3, and Marli- Rott. cross-6.

My 4-legged dogs come to work with me and it’s a wonderful way to spend my days and make a living. I get to use both of my degrees every day in the grooming shop and I work with talented and fun dog-loving people. I now own 2 shops, and employ 6-8 groomers and bathers.

I start one student at a time, and have graduated dozens of students that have gone on to become hugely successful groomers and business owners. I love being a groomer! And I love being a teacher!

I have started this blog so that I can assist groomers with grooming questions, and dog-owners with dog psychology questions. In my 11 years of owning 2 shops and grooming thousands of dogs, I have come to notice a LOT of really cool things that co-exist for dog and owner.

Please help me to start my blog by sending me your questions regarding your dogs. Thanks a bunch for visiting my site, and I hope to be a service to you!


DuAnn Chambers




Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Dogs can get nosebleeds during the grooming process

Today I had a student ask me, is it normal for some dogs to get nosebleeds during the grooming?

The answer is this, it does happen fairly regularly, however, it is not normal.  Nose bleeds can happen from a number of different factors.  Typically, it is stress induced and the dog's breathing increases enough to create friction on the air passage.  A little extra snort, or sneeze, or breath can create a bloody nose.  As a groomer, or pet owner, you want to be sure and monitor the amount of blood, the length the nose bleed lasts and the color of the nose bleed.  If the blood is clumpy or darker than fresh blood, it is likely that a tumor in the nose, throat, or lungs has burst.  In this event, you may have an emergency.  If the nose bleed is a tumor that has erupted, the behavior of the dog will tell you if you should call the vet or rush to the vet.

Fortunately, a simple nose bleed that is not an emergency is what happens 95 percent of the time.  Do you best to calm the dog and quiet his breathing.  The bleeding should not last longer than 60 seconds.  Call the owner and let them know about the nose bleed and see if they know why it happened.  You may just be surprised when you hear the owner say, 'oh, don't worry! Charlie goes diving in the mud for frogs every day!

Nose bleeds are pretty common, be sure you follow them up with the owner.

DuAnn Lustig-Chambers
Pooch Parlor Tribune
Professional Tips to Pamper Your Pooch

No comments: